Total Pageviews

Friday, January 16, 2009

High quality decision making...

At the start of the new semester, my head is boggling with all the new material needing to be soaked in in such a short amount of time; however, as I was finishing up some cost accounting today, a question came up in my class on how we can apply cost analysis/decision making in our personal lives. For those of you who know me, you know that I don't take time to think deeply about things. For example, I've never had a discussion for more than five minutes on the subject of religion, politics, prop 8, or any other issue that requires a more articulate answer than the one I'm capable of giving, but on this issue I was very, what the Spaniards like to call, pensativo. I thought long and hard on how unstructured the "high-quality decision making" process is in our lives (speaking of me and the Calinator). I've come up with a few scenarios that demonstrate how we unsuccessfully make decisions:

Scenario 1: "Friday night television fight"

Cali and Geoff have just sat down on a Friday night after a long, hard day at work and school and turned on the TV. Geoff, normally the initiator, has flipped through a few channels, nothing really perking his own interests.

Geoff: So what do you want to watch?

Cali: Oh I don't care.

Geoff: Here...take the remote. I'm up for anything.

Cali: No, i don't want it. Just turn it to something you like.

Geoff: I don't like anything. Just take it and watch what you want. I'll be content with anything right now.

Cali: No, I don't want the stupid remote. Just flip through channels until you see something you like.

Geoff: NO! I don't want to be selfish. I always watch TV. It's time for you to watch what you want.

Cali: But I don't care what we watch. Please just watch what you want.

Geoff: NO! There are hundreds of channels on here. There is going to be something that you want to watch. Here...take it. (throws Cali the remote)

Cali: AAAAAHHHH!! just turn the damn TV to something you want!!!!

Geoff: Hey! This is your remote, your TV, and your last chance to turn it to a show that you want to watch.

Cali: NO!!! Your being so...(Cali says a very sophisticated word that Geoff doesn't know)

Geoff: Fine! Then you've lost your cuddle privileges for 2 days...yeah the cuddle bug has gone on vacation!!!

This usually ends with Geoff sleeping on the couch that night. Loveless, sleepless, and remorseful.

Scenario 2: "No dinner makes Geoff a very dull boy"

Geoff and Cali have both arrived home on a Friday night from their respective liabilities (HuH?), give hugs and kisses, and sit down on the couch to rest their aching bones beside the fire.

Geoff: Are you hungry?

Cali: Yeah I'm pretty hungry. Are you?

Geoff: Yeah. What do you want to eat?

Cali: oh I don't care. What do you want to eat?

Geoff: whatever you want. I'm up for anything

Cali: Well then lets go whereever you want to go.

Geoff: But I don't care where we go. It's up to you.

Cali: Oh jeez...i dunno. What sounds good to you?

Geoff: (getting impatient) Anything sounds good. Lets just get something.

Cali: Well then pick

Geoff: I don't care where we go!! Just pick a place you like and we'll go there. Don't leave this up to me.

Cali: YOU pick a place! I can't make this decision.

Geoff: (overly irritated) FINE!! lets just sit home and eat chicken noodle soup! Maybe that will push you to make a decision. If you don't think of something now...then we are not making whoopie for 2 months!!!


This usually ends with Geoff sleeping on the couch that night. Loveless, sleepless, and remorseful.


I guess I don't have a moral to this post, but you can see how not being high quality decision makers can affect not only your business, but your personal life as well. Also, we need a more comfortable couch...if anyone is selling.

3 comments:

Cali said...

Ha ha! That's so funny because it's so true.

Except the sleeping on the couch part... but the rest of it...

By the way, what do you want to do tonight?

NaDell said...

You guys are HILARIOUS! Sometimes it really is hard to make decisions, though. You should just take turns having to pick things. (I know, I'm totally a mommy of small kids.)

And really, if you can pick out of a hundred channels and pick anywhere to go out to eat, I figured you would easily have something.....

Cali said...

Well maybe we SHOULD apply the principles of high-quality decision making to our lives. So next time we can't decide where to eat, we need to gather all the facts, understand the problem, find solutions, consider the alternatives... etc. etc. Maybe that will help us.